- A new paper: “Categorizing Variants of Goodhart’s Law”
- New research write-ups and discussions: Distributed Cooperation; Quantilal Control for Finite Markov Decision Processes
- New at AI Impacts: Transmitting Fibers in the Brain: Total Length and Distribution of Lengths
- Scott Garrabrant, the research lead for MIRI’s agent foundations program, outlines focus areas and 2018 predictions for MIRI’s research.
- Scott presented on logical induction at the joint Applied Theory Workshop / Workshop in Economic Theory.
- Nautilus interviews MIRI Executive Director Nate Soares.
- From Abram Demski: An Untrollable Mathematician Illustrated
News and links
- From FHI’s Jeffrey Ding: “Deciphering China’s AI Dream.”
- OpenAI researcher Paul Christiano writes on universality and security amplification and an unaligned benchmark. Ajeya Cotra summarizes Christiano’s general approach to alignment in Iterated Distillation and Amplification.
- Christiano discusses reasoning in cases “where it’s hard to settle disputes with either formal argument or experimentation (or a combination), like policy or futurism.”
- From Chris Olah and collaborators at Google and CMU: The Building Blocks of Interpretability.
- From Nichol, Achiam, and Schulman at OpenAI: Reptile: A Scalable Meta-Learning Algorithm.