Transparency and Financials
The Machine Intelligence Research Institute exists to ensure that smarter-than-human artificially intelligent systems have a positive impact. Because we expect advanced AI systems to be extraordinarily consequential in the long term, we believe it is imperative to work toward a theory of extraordinarily reliable and robust AI agent designs.
For more information, see:
- Our Mission
- Press Kit
- Technical Agenda
- Mid-2014 Strategic Plan and 2014 in Review
- Mid-2015 Strategic Plans
- Environmental Policy
- Compensation Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Whistleblower Policy
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Harassment Policies
- Document Retention and Destruction Policy
Since its founding in 2000, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute has had 2,644 distinct donors. Our five largest donors, each of whom has given more than $350,000, are:
- The Thiel Foundation, a private foundation funded by Paypal co-founder and venture capitalist Peter Thiel.
- Jed McCaleb, developer of the Ripple and Stellar currency exchange systems.
- Jaan Tallinn, Skype and Kazaa developer and co-founder of the existential risk institutes FLI and CSER.
- Loren Merritt, x264 video codec library developer.
- Edwin Evans, founder of Quinly and co-founder of Linc-Global.
For a list of donors who have given $5,000 or more, see our Top Donors page.
Our 2015 990 will be published here in 2016. Note that until February 2013, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute was known as the Singularity Institute.
- SIAI: an Examination — authored by independent observer Brandon Reinhart (May 2011)
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2012
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2013
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2014
Our 2015 report will be published here in 2016.