Transparency and Financials
The Machine Intelligence Research Institute exists to ensure that smarter-than-human artificially intelligent systems have a positive impact. Because we expect advanced AI systems to be extraordinarily consequential in the long term, we believe it is imperative to work toward a theory of extraordinarily reliable and robust AI agent designs.
For more information, see:
- Our Mission
- Press Kit
- Technical Agenda
- 2017 Strategy and 2016 in review
- 2016 Strategy and 2015 in review
- Environmental Policy
- Compensation Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Whistleblower Policy
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Harassment Policies
- Document Retention and Destruction Policy
Since its founding in 2000, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute has had 3,111 distinct donors. Our six largest contributors, each of whom has given at least $500,000, are:
- The Thiel Foundation, a private foundation funded by Paypal co-founder and venture capitalist Peter Thiel.
- *An Ethereum cryptocurrency investor
- Jed McCaleb, developer of the Ripple and Stellar currency exchange systems.
- *Jaan Tallinn, Skype and Kazaa developer and co-founder of the existential risk institutes FLI and CSER.
- *The Open Philanthropy Project, a joint initiative of the charity evaluator GiveWell and the philanthropic foundation Good Ventures.
- *Loren Merritt, x264 video codec library developer.
* Indicates that donor has contributed to MIRI in the last two years.
For a list of donors who have given $5,000 or more, see our Top Contributors page.
Note that until February 2013, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute was known as the Singularity Institute.
- SIAI: an Examination — authored by independent observer Brandon Reinhart (May 2011)
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2012
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2013
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2014
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2015
Our 2016 report will be published here in 2017.