Transparency and Financials
The Machine Intelligence Research Institute exists to ensure that smarter-than-human artificially intelligent systems have a positive impact. Because we expect advanced AI systems to be extraordinarily consequential in the long term, we believe it is imperative to work toward a theory of extraordinarily reliable and robust AI agent designs.
For more information, see:
- Environmental Policy
- Compensation Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Whistleblower Policy
- Equal Employment Opportunity and Harassment Policies
- Document Retention and Destruction Policy
Since its founding in 2000, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute has had 3,751 distinct donors. Our largest contributors, each of whom has given at least $500,000, are:
- *The Open Philanthropy Project, a joint initiative of the charity evaluator GiveWell and the philanthropic foundation Good Ventures.
- The Thiel Foundation, a private foundation funded by Paypal co-founder and venture capitalist Peter Thiel.
- *Vitalik Buterin, the inventor and co-founder of Ethereum.
- *An anonymous Ethereum cryptocurrency investor in 2018.
- *A different anonymous Ethereum cryptocurrency investor in 2017.
- *Berkeley Existential Risk Initiative
- *Jaan Tallinn, Skype and Kazaa developer and co-founder of the existential risk institutes FLI and CSER.
- Jed McCaleb, developer of the Ripple and Stellar currency exchange systems.
- *Loren Merritt, x264 video codec library developer.
- *Edwin Evans, Cofounder of Linc Global.
* Indicates that donor has contributed to MIRI in the last four years.
For a list of donors who have given $5,000 or more, see our Top Contributors page.
- 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000
Note that until February 2013, the Machine Intelligence Research Institute was known as the Singularity Institute.
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2012
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2013
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2014
- Independent Accountant’s Review Report for 2015
- Independent Auditor’s Report for 2016
- Independent Auditor’s Report for 2017
Our 2018 report will be published here in 2019.