Giving Tuesday takes place on Tuesday, December 3, 2019 and Facebook have announced that they will start matching donations made on their platform at 5:00am PT (8:00am ET). While the scale of Facebook’s overall matching warchest has yet to be disclosed, they have announced some details:
- Donations during the Giving Tuesday event will be matched dollar for dollar on a first-come, first-served basis until the match is met.
- Any US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit eligible to receive donations on Facebook (like MIRI) can be matched.
- Facebook will match up to a total of $100,000 per nonprofit organization.
- Each donor can have up to $20,000 in eligible donations matched on Giving Tuesday.
Given last year’s match of $7,000,00 was exhausted within 16 seconds of the event starting, it’s likely that this year’s instantiation will be over within seconds of starting. Below are some tips to improve the chances of your donation to MIRI’s Fundraiser Page on Facebook being matched — donations should be made within a few seconds of 5am PT.
Pre-Event Preparation (before Giving Tuesday)
- Confirm your FB account is operational.
- Add your credit card(s) as payment methods on FB: https://secure.facebook.com/settings?tab=payments§ion=settings.
- Test your payment method(s) ahead of time by donating small amount(s) to MIRI’s Fundraiser page.
- If your credit card limit is lower than the amount you’re considering donating to MIRI, you could call your credit card asking them to temporarily increase your limit. The same effect might be achieved in a front-loading way by overpaying the balance today but, at this stage, that will only be effective if your credit card and checking A/Cs are with the same bank.
- Sync whatever clock you’ll be using with time.is.
On Tuesday, December 3, BEFORE 5AM PT: prepare your donation (so you can donate with a single click when the event begins at 5am):
- Open MIRI’s Fundraiser Page on Facebook in your browser.
- Click on the Donate button.
- In the “Donate” popup that surfaces,
- enter your donation amount — between $5 and $2499. (see below for larger donations)
- choose whichever card you’re using for your donation
- optionally enter a note and/or adjust the donation visibility (Note you can make donations visible to “Only me” or “Public”)
Then, at 05:00:00 PST (using time.is), click on the green Donate button!
Can you give $2500 or more? It’s likely Facebook will place a limit of $2499 per donation (in the US1), and $20,000 per donor. If you’re in a position to donate $2500 or more to MIRI, open up MIRI’s Fundraiser Page on Facebook in as many tabs as needed in your browser (X<=8) and follow the instructions above in each tab so you have X green Donate buttons ready to click, one in each tab. Then at 5:00:00 PT, channel your lightning and click as fast as you can — one of our star supporters last year made 8 donations within 21 seconds, of 5 of which were matched.
- It’s very likely that donations made outside the USA will have lower limits. We’ll update this page when more is known about this.