From July 8-14, MIRI will host its 3rd Workshop on Logic, Probability, and Reflection. The focus of this workshop will be the Löbian obstacle to self-modifying systems.
Participants confirmed so far include:
- Andrew Critch (just finished his math PhD at UC Berkeley, now working at CFAR)
- Abram Demski (USC)
- Benja Fallenstein (Bristol U)
- Marcello Herreshoff (Google)
- Jonathan Lee (Cambridge)
- Will Sawin (Princeton)
- Qioachu Yuan (UC Berkeley)
- Eliezer Yudkowsky (MIRI)
If you have a strong mathematics background and might like to attend this workshop, it’s not too late to apply! And even if this workshop doesn’t fit your schedule, please do apply, so that we can notify you of other workshops (long before they are announced publicly).
Information on past workshops:
- Our 1st Workshop (Nov. 11-18, 2012; 4 participants) resulted in Christiano’s probabilistic logic, an attack on the Löbian obstacle for self-modifying systems.
- Our 2nd Workshop (Apr. 3-24, 2013; 12 participants coming in and out) resulted in (1) some as-yet unpublished progress on Christiano’s probabilistic logic, (2) some progress on program equilibrium recorded in LaVictoire et al. (2013), and some progress on the Löbian obstacle resulting in Yudkowsky & Herreschoff (2013).