We’re in the final weeks of our push to cover our funding shortfall
, and we’re now halfway to our $160,000 goal. For potential donors who are interested in an outside perspective, Future of Humanity Institute (FHI) researcher Owen Cotton-Barratt has written up why he’s donating to MIRI
this year. (Donation page
- We teamed up with a number of AI safety researchers to help compile a list of recommended AI safety readings for the Center for Human-Compatible AI. See this page if you would like to get involved with CHCAI’s research.
- Investment analyst Ben Hoskin reviews MIRI and other organizations involved in AI safety.
News and links
- “The Off-Switch Game“: Dylan Hadfield-Manell, Anca Dragan, Pieter Abbeel, and Stuart Russell show that an AI agent’s corrigibility is closely tied to the uncertainty it has about its utility function.
- Russell and Allan Dafoe critique an inaccurate summary by Oren Etzioni of a new survey of AI experts on superintelligence.
- Sam Harris interviews Russell on the basics of AI risk (video). See also Russell’s new Q&A on the future of AI.
- Future of Life Institute co-founder Viktoriya Krakovna and FHI researcher Jan Leike join Google DeepMind’s safety team.
- GoodAI sponsors a challenge to “accelerate the search for general artificial intelligence”.
- OpenAI releases Universe, “a software platform for measuring and training an AI’s general intelligence across the world’s supply of games”. Meanwhile, DeepMind has open-sourced their own platform for general AI research, DeepMind Lab.
- Staff at GiveWell and the Centre for Effective Altruism, along with others in the effective altruism community, explain where they’re donating this year.
- FHI is seeking AI safety interns, researchers, and admins: jobs page.