The Machine Intelligence Research Institute is looking for highly capable software engineers to directly contribute to our work on the AI alignment problem. We’re seeking engineers with extremely strong programming skills who are passionate about MIRI’s mission and looking for challenging and intellectually engaging work.
About the Role
In this role you will work closely with researchers to: create and run novel coding experiments and projects; build development infrastructure; and rapidly prototype, implement, and test AI alignment ideas.
The Ideal Candidate
Some qualities of the ideal candidate:
- Comfortable programming in different languages and frameworks.
- Has mastery in at least one technically demanding area.
- Machine learning experience is not a requirement, though it is a plus.
- Able to work with mathematicians on turning mathematical concepts into elegant code in a variety of environments and languages.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, and in team/group settings.
- Highly familiar with basic ideas related to AI alignment.
- Residence in (or willingness to move to) the Bay Area. This job requires working directly with our research team, and won’t work as a remote position.
- Enthusiasm about the prospect of working at MIRI and helping advance the field of AI alignment research.
Working at MIRI
We strive to make working at MIRI a rewarding experience:
- Modern Work Spaces — Many of us have adjustable standing desks with large external monitors. We consider workspace ergonomics important, and try to rig up workstations to be as comfortable as possible. Free snacks, drinks, and meals are also provided at our office.
- Flexible Hours — We don’t have strict office hours, and we don’t limit employees’ vacation days. Our goal is to make rapid progress on our research agenda, and we would prefer that staff take a day off than that they extend tasks to fill an extra day.
- Living in the Bay Area — MIRI’s office is located in downtown Berkeley, California. From our office, you’re a 30-second walk to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), which can get you around the Bay Area; a 3-minute walk to UC Berkeley campus; and a 30-minute BART ride to downtown San Francisco.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
MIRI is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to making employment decisions based on merit and value. This commitment includes complying with all federal, state, and local laws. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Our hiring process tends to involve a lot of sample tasks and probationary-hires, so we encourage you to apply sooner than later.
For questions or comments, email email@example.com.